Friday, February 10, 2012

新しいコンピュータです!

Do you ever have spontaneous cleaning sprees? I sometimes do. Now, I don't clean as often as I should, but when I do, I do it. Often times it feels like a good time to clean right before I go to bed. Last night, for example. I was simply admiring my computer like I do every day and the thought occurred to me that I should update my blog with a post about it. Then I thought, I should just take a picture of my desk. But then I thought, My desk is a mess. I can't take a picture of that. So I thought, I'll clean it up on Saturday. But then I look at the time. 12:30. I could go to bed and that would be early for me. But then I also realize that its only 12:30, which really isn't so late after all. So I go to work. Finally at 3:30, I'm done and I go to bed. But my, look how fine it turned out!









Isn't it beautiful? Yep, gang, this is my lovely new computer. I put it together last October a few days after my birthday after collecting deals on parts for months. Just in time for the amazing game that is Battlefield 3! I had a lot of help from my brother-in-law when putting together my computer. He and my brother would go to LANs together (stands for "local area network;" going to a LAN is basically going to a computer party) frequently and I always wanted to go with them terribly so.

"Do you have a computer that can play games?"
"No..." :'c
"Hm. Too bad for you then."
/SOB IN A CORNER

So I resolved to get one eventually and now my dream has come true. For around $700 (never did an official total estimate) I got myself a custom-built gaming-grade computer that can kick all ya'll's computer's trashes. Its fast and smooth and makes games look oh-so-pretty (Battlefield 3 omg). The only thing I didn't upgrade terribly was my hard-drive because I bought a 1TB a year earlier, although my brother-in-law so graciously gifted me with an extra, slightly faster 600GB. I always thought I would be perfectly content with standard hard-drives but when my 1TB (where I store most of my files) moves a second slower than the rest of my computer, I want a solid state drive more and more (but $105 for only 64GB...  TT__TT ). My brother-in-law basically gave me the list for what exactly to buy. I put most of the computer together myself while he supervised. It was actually quite simple and fast! The longest part was just him installing all the quintessential software onto it afterward. Here's all of what went into it:

  • Antec Three Hundred ATX mid tower computer case
  • ASUS P8P67 motherboard
  • PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 500W
  • Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 video card
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM
  • Some Western Digital 600GB HD (what my brother-in-law gave me so I don't know)
  • Intel Core i5-2500K (Unlocked) Sandy Bride 3.3GHz Quad-Core processor

That processor cost me the most. See that square box on the top? That's it. That little box. But you know what? That's not even the size of the processor. The actual processor really only uses about 1/42 (42 just seems like a good number...) of that box size. Practically all the space is in fact used by the fan included with the processor, which I didn't even install because I got a better one. I didn't take a picture of the actual processor but it's about the size of a standard, square, saltine cracker. I got a great deal on that thing and bought it for $200, which is about the cheapest you'll find it anywhere for another year or so. Big things come in small packages I s'pose...

After throwing the actual computer together, I bought a Logitech G9X mouse with a gaming-grade precision laser (and customizable LED lights!), a $90 value, for $40. Then I bought a Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard (with light up keys!), a $60 value, for $30 on Black Friday. Some time later I got a cheap Logitech microphone that does the job well enough, and the speakers, webcam, and scanner all used to be my dad's. My parents got me my widescreen monitor for my 20th birthday. Don't know much about it but that it's eMachines and is about 21in. The gaming-grade mousepad was also graciously handed down to me by my brother-in-law when he bought himself a new one (which he said still performs about the same). And then of course lil' ol' Prince sitting on the subwoofer~ I'll crochet a little katamari for him to push someday...

After all that computer building mumbo jumbo, I installed this lovely Windows 7 theme that I'm in love with (and is what actually inspired me to blog about my computer in the first place). 짜잔~!!


It's Zune themed. I love the dark look and how everything looks so classy and sleek. Ch'yeah. Staring at my computer and its desktop makes me happy~

Now that I've effectively wasted more time late at night, I think it's about time to go to bed, but not before I show you a video showcasing Battlefield 3's breathtaking Frostbite 2 engine (which still doesn't do it much justice--you have to see it to believe it). xD

1 comments:

Zoë said...

I definitely feel you on the going to bed thing. Sometimes it's a good day (night?) if I can get to bed by 2 am. And you built that computer yourself? That's awesome!

Also, I have seen some Portlandia clips and it's hilarious. My favorite is the chicken restaraunt one and the paper bag one.